Saturday, January 26, 2008

Getting to know Swedes

Since I last posted, I have been getting to know some Swedes a little better. I think it just takes some time for them to warm up or something like that. I have gotten to know a Greek guy named Antony pretty well, he is definitely the friendliest. Also the nation I joined, Goteborg, has had a couple of events, like a little pub crawl last night in which I have been able to meet some more Swedes. (By the way, I was able to go on the pub crawl without drinking a drop of beer, I just get some water, it's free, or coffee and enjoy talking, they are actually really fun to go on, because everyone is friendly and likes to talk. I have noticed that Swedes are more open to talking about politics and things like that, the conversations naturally flow into discussions around political issues, which I enjoy, because I like talking about politics. So I am glad that I am able to get to know other Swedes a little better. The other thing I like about the pubs here is they are places to go and talk or play board games, you don't have to get drunk. I think Swedes are into board games, because at one of the pubs I saw some people at a table playing Settlers of Catan.

On Wednesday I had my first class, Swedish history, and it is going to be pretty easy, just read 1 600 page book and write an 8 page paper in 4 weeks. So I have a lot of free time, hopefully I will be able to use some of that in studying my LSAT prep book and traveling. There is a group of four other people and I who will be going to Stockholm on Monday. I am looking forward to that, and I hope that it will be the start of more travels. There is so much to see, and so little time to see it.

Even though my corridor is a bit quiet, at least they don't blare music like a couple of the other corridors in my building. Last night at about 2:20 in the morning, the guy in the room below me was blaring his stereo really loud, (of course it had the exact same electric guitar line). I was able to get to sleep because I had earplugs, but I was thinking how frustrated I would be if I actually lived in that corridor. So after that experience, I was thankful that I am in a more peaceful corridor, even if most people hide in their rooms. Well, that is all, today is Australia Day, so all the Australians are having a big party (I think they could get a degree in partying), so I might go check it out, or I might not.

No comments: